Franz Xaver Winterhalter Galleries
German painter and lithographer. He trained as a draughtsman and lithographer in the workshop of Karl Ludwig Scheler (1785-1852) in Freiburg im Breisgau and went to Munich in 1823, sponsored by the industrialist Baron Eichtal. In 1825 he began a course of study at the Akademie and was granted a stipend by Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Baden. The theoretical approach to art of the Akademie under the direction of Peter Cornelius was unfamiliar to him, as in Freiburg he had been required to paint in a popular style. He found the stimulus for his future development in the studio of Joseph Stieler, a portrait painter who was much in demand and who derived inspiration from French painting. Winterhalter became his collaborator in 1825. From Stieler he learnt to make the heads of figures emerge from shadow and to use light in the modelling of faces. He moved to Karlsruhe in 1830 with his brother Hermann Winterhalter (1808-92), who had also trained with Scheler and had followed him to Munich. Related Paintings of Franz Xaver Winterhalter :. | Portrait of Prince Henri, Duke of Aumale | The Empress Eugenie a la Marie-Antoinette | Queen Victoria | Queen Victoria | Italienerin mit Kind |
Related Artists:Esaias Boursse
Dutch painter and draughtsman. Boursse was the son of Walloon parents, Jacques Boursse and Anne de Forest. A testimony of 23 July 1658 states that Esaias brother Jan provided for his artistic training. There is nothing to confirm a view of the early 20th-century scholars Bode, Bredius and Valentiner that Boursse was a pupil of Rembrandt, although the two artists may have had some contact, since Rembrandt lived near Jan in Amsterdam. According to an inventory of 24 November 1671, Jan collected a number of paintings, drawings and etchings by Rembrandt.Master John
(floruit 1544-1545)Bartholomeus van Bassen
(1590 - 1652) was a Dutch Golden Age painter and architect.
Van Bassen was born in Antwerp. Little is known of his early life, but according to the RKD he became a member of the Delft Guild of St. Luke in 1613. In 1622 he moved to the Hague, where he became a member of the The Hague Guild of St. Luke two years later and where he became dean in 1627 and headman in 1636 and 1640. He is known for his architectural works, sometimes with staffage by the painters Anthonie Palamedesz, Esaias van de Velde, and Jan Martszen de Jonge.