Franz Xaver Winterhalter
Franz Xaver Winterhalter Galleries
German painter and lithographer. He trained as a draughtsman and lithographer in the workshop of Karl Ludwig Scheler (1785-1852) in Freiburg im Breisgau and went to Munich in 1823, sponsored by the industrialist Baron Eichtal. In 1825 he began a course of study at the Akademie and was granted a stipend by Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Baden. The theoretical approach to art of the Akademie under the direction of Peter Cornelius was unfamiliar to him, as in Freiburg he had been required to paint in a popular style. He found the stimulus for his future development in the studio of Joseph Stieler, a portrait painter who was much in demand and who derived inspiration from French painting. Winterhalter became his collaborator in 1825. From Stieler he learnt to make the heads of figures emerge from shadow and to use light in the modelling of faces. He moved to Karlsruhe in 1830 with his brother Hermann Winterhalter (1808-92), who had also trained with Scheler and had followed him to Munich. Related Paintings of Franz Xaver Winterhalter :. | Empress Eugeie | Princess Pauline de Metternich | Madame Barbe de Rimsky-Korsakov | Portrait of the Prince de Wagram and his daughter Malcy Louise Caroline Frederique | Portrait of Prince Henri, Duke of Aumale |
Related Artists:Aurelia de sousa
Ernest Lawson Galleries
Ernest Lawson (March 22, 1873 ?C December 18, 1939) was a Canadian-American painter and a member of The Eight, a group of artists which included the group's leader Robert Henri, Everett Shinn, John Sloan, Arthur B. Davies, Maurice Prendergast, George Luks, and William J. Glackens.
Lawson was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Though Lawson mostly painted landscapes, he also did some realistic urban scenes which were shown at the 1908 exihibition of The Eight. His painting style is heavily influenced by Impressionism, especially the style of John Henry Twachtman, Alfred Sisley, and J. Alden Weir.
Lawson exhibited as a member of the Canadian Art Club from 1911 to 1915. He died in Miami Beach, Florida in 1939.